Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Black Hawk Farms Circuit race

Props to the race coordinator, this was one of the coolest races I've done in a long time. A 1.7 mile long Race car track with 7 turns. The field was pretty big with 55 riders. I didn't know to many people except for Both Ryan and Rob White. 20-30 mph winds were shattering most of the fields for the races I saw. With a big field and a 75 minute race. The White brothers and I teamed up in the cross winds and set tempo at the front to weaken some of the other riders legs. Ryan White broke one of his cleats and went down in the finishing straight. Luckily only he went down. I attacked with a few small groups. With everyone looking pretty winded I launched a full on attack in the cross wind. The gap opened up to 30 seconds as I came around to take the 10 laps 17 miles to go mark. I could see the pack behind single file in certain sections. I kept my head down for the next 5 laps as the gap held at 30 seconds. After that the gap grew it 50 seconds and I started to think I could make it. Scott Pearson of the Higher Gear team got away from the pack with 4 to go and I could see him slowly closing. I dropped it down 2 gears and slid a little farther back over the saddle and powered the gear over a little harder. Finally the bell rang and I got the one lap to go. The last lap went by almost to quickly, and before I knew it I was riding alone under the finish line fists raised in celebration. My first Pro win of the year and hopefully not the last.

Next weekend is the WCA opener in Madison. With this week being a recovery session I will be on my top game gunning for another win.