Monday, May 5, 2008

BEAUCHAMPS 1.12IC

I was a little worried when we got to the course today. They said the climb was 600 meters at 10% but it was about 1.5k at 8-10%. I haven't ridden any climbs this year at all. We started the first lap in the middle of the climb and no neutral start. I was hanging on gasping for air the first. Lap 2nd lap I was a little more composed. 3rd lap little smoother starter moving up in the crosswind. 4th lap saw the front in the cross wind but everything got bunched up and I lost my position before the climb. 5th I was mid pack up the climb. 6th started feeling good up the climb, I was up in the top 40 over it. 7th I was in the last 10 up the climb wondering if i'd ever see the front again. 8th lap I started feeling good and just said screw it I don't care if I blow up and just started going with attacks. Lap 9 Went to the front and split the field in the cross wind. I tried to bridge to the 10 man group 30 seconds in front of us. I got within 5 seconds at the bottom of the climb, but the group attacked each other on the climb. I blew up and got caught by what was left of the peleton. I attacked again with one other guy in the cross wind. We started to bridge to the group in front of us. On the descent a group of 7 bridged up to us and we started holding close to 35 mph flying up to the group in front of us. We got the 1 lap to go and caught the group of 15 in front of us over the top of the climb. We had a 25 rider group so people were attacking pretty hard. My teamate Ben Bradshaw got in a 3 man group and no one was chasing. I felt good and wanted to catch it., but chasing teammates is a no no. So I waited for the next attack and got in a 4 rider group. We bridged up 3ks from the finish, no one behind was chasing. We just soft pedaled until we hit the last 500 meters at 10%. Then it was game on. 3 guys went way to early and blew up. I tried to stand up but half cramped finishing 3 or 4th in our group sprint. Some where around 20th on the day.

3 comments:

Leibo said...

beast

garbagetry said...

Mitch has been keeping me posted on your races so I figured I had better check this out. Nice job Matt! "Screw It" seems to work sometimes!!
Jeff B.

Graham Dewart said...

kill em' matt